OFF TO PROM — Thanks to Erie County Legislator Lynne Dixon and Urban Valet Dry Cleaners, girls across the county may obtain their prom dresses, free of charge
WESTERN NEW YORK — Erie County Legislator Lynne Dixon and Urban Valet Dry Cleaners have announced the return of the Prom Dress Drive for the fifth year.
Gowns will be collected from Monday, Feb. 24 – Friday, March 21 and will be made available to local high school girls who are in need of a dress for prom or another occasion.
“The Prom Dress Drive gets bigger every year, with girls coming from around Western New York to shop for a free dress,” Dixon said.
“This wouldn’t be possible without the generosity of the community, donating amazingly beautiful dresses for the girls to choose from. I enjoy watching the girls get excited when they see the collection of dresses and hearing how much they are looking forward to wearing the dress to the big dance,” she added. “There is truly a need for this program in our community and thanks to our sponsors and donors, we are able to continue to offer this opportunity.”
All donated gowns will be cleaned, free of charge, by Urban Valet.
“Once again, we are happy to partner with Legislator Dixon and her team,” said Urban Valet General Manager Lisa Rothwell. “It is an honor for us to assist these young ladies in finding a gown for prom. It also gives us great to joy to know that we are giving back to a community that has given so much to us. We look forward to this year’s drive and free sale event.”
Dress donations will be accepted at several area locations. Donors may drop off new or used dresses at any of the following locations:
– Blasdell Village Hall, located at 121 Miriam Ave. in Blasdell.
– Boston Free Library, located at 9475 Boston State Road in Boston.
– Dudley Branch Library, located at 2010 S. Park Ave. in Buffalo.
– Eden Boys & Girls Club, located at 8284 N. Main St. in Eden.
– Erie County Legislature, located on the fourth floor of 92 Franklin St. in Buffalo.
– Hamburg Village Hall, located at 100 Main St. in Hamburg.
– Lackawanna Public Library, located at 560 Ridge Road in Lackawanna.
– Lake Shore Boys & Girls Club, located at 42 Sunset Blvd. in Angola.
– Lake Shore Branch Library, located at S. 4857 Lake Shore Road in Hamburg.
– Urban Valet Cleaners at 106 Evans St. in Hamburg, 4081 N. Buffalo Road in Orchard Park and 620 Elmwood Ave. in Buffalo.
“The donation sites truly make this event possible, providing convenience for the donors who drop off hundreds of dresses during the next few weeks,” Dixon said. “In addition, without the generosity and hard work of Urban Valet, we could never have all the dresses ready for the girls, who are so appreciative of this event.
“I have heard over and over again, throughout the years, that without the Prom Dress Drive, some girls would not have a dress because their families don’t have the extra money available, especially with how expensive prom has become. It just makes good economic sense, especially at a time when almost everyone is keeping a closer eye on the bottom line.”
After the dresses have been collected and cleaned, Dixon will host a free shopping event at Performing Arts Dance Academy in Hamburg, inviting area high school girls to come and “shop” for a dress for the prom. Times, dates and location will be announced soon.
For more information, call Dixon at 858-8671 or email email@example.com