Around Town for the week of August 8
Thursday August 8, 2013 | By:Sun Staff |
Thursday, Aug. 8
– The Ten Lives Club, along with the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, will sponsor a seminar regarding the feline immunodeficiency virus at Michael’s Banquet Hall in Hamburg. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and the food and dessert stations will open at 6:30. There will be a cash bar. The speaker will be Dr. Annette Litster, director of the Maddie’s Shelter Medicine Program at Purdue University and an associate professor of small animal internal medicine. Reservations are required and may be made by calling 646-5577 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Woodlawn Beach concert series at Woody’s Beach Club and Taquería. Common Ground will perform at 6:30 p.m. For more information, visit Woodlawn Beach on Facebook or call 826-1930.
– Erie County Legislator Lynne Dixon will host a Medicare, Affordable Care Act presentation, in partnership with the Erie County Department of Senior Services, at the town of Hamburg Senior Center from 10 a.m. – noon. The center is located at 4150 Sowles Road.
Friday, Aug. 9
– Woodlawn Beach concert series at Woody’s Beach Club and Taquería. Jamie Moses Band with Caitlin Koch will perform at 6:30 p.m. For more information, visit Woodlawn Beach on Facebook or call 826-1930.
Saturday, Aug. 10
– Woodlawn Beach concert series at Woody’s Beach Club and Taquería. The Boogie Monsters will perform at 6:30 p.m. For more information, visit Woodlawn Beach on Facebook or call 826-1930.
– Penn Dixie Annual midsummer’s night adventure – fossil and astronomy program, 5 – 11 p.m. No pre-registrations is required. Adult and child tickets are available. Free glow sticks will be given out to children. Red Top will be selling hot dogs, hamburgers and drinks. For more information, visit www.penndixie.org or call 627-4560.
Tuesday, Aug. 13
– Willie May Blues Band with Evan Laedke will perform a concert on the front steps of the Eden Elementary School at 7 p.m., during the Eden Town Concert series. Admission is free. In case of rain, the concert will move inside the auditorium.
– Joe Wagner & Company will perform at the Boston Summer Concert Series from 7 – 9 p.m. at the Lions Shelter at the Boston Town Park. Admission is free. Bring a lawn chair. In case of rain, the concert will be held in the Boston Town Hall.
– Book signing with David Smeltz and his series of Civil War novels, “The Adventures of Sidney Sawyer,” Lake Shore Library, 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 14
– Creek Bend, featuring the Panfil Brothers, will perform at the Angola Park and Gazebo Summer Lawn Chair Concert Series from 7 – 9 p.m. at Centennial Park. Sponsored by the Lake Shore Central Teacher’s Association. Will be held in the New Angola Theater, in the event of rain.
– Heard of Buffalo will perform at 7 p.m., during the Hamburg summer concert. Admission is free. The concert will be held at Memorial Park, at the intersection of Lake and Union streets. In case of rain, the concert will be held in the Union Pleasant Elementary School auditorium.
Thursday, Aug. 15
– Hamburg Public Library, book talk with local author Kevin McCann, 7 p.m. Join Hamburg native Greg McCann, as he gives a presentation about his book “Called Away by a Mountain Spirit.” He will also be discussing his travels to Virachey National Park in Cambodia and Habitat ID, a new wildlife conservation group that he founded last year.
Saturday, Aug. 17
– The Hamburg Monarchs Boys 16 and younger soccer team will host a car wash and bottle/can drive from 9 a.m. – noon at Meridia Community Credit Union, located at 4500 Southwestern Blvd. Both car and larger vehicle washes will be available. Proceeds will go toward offsetting travel costs for the 2014 Disney soccer tournament.
– Kids Paint the Library groundbreaking celebration at the Hamburg Public Library, 2 – 4 p.m. Celebrate the new addition by saying goodbye to the library’s old meeting room. Bring kids down to paint the walls and floors. Creations may be used in the art gallery of the new addition. Cake and ice cream will be served.
HAMBURG — Saint Bonaventure University and Hilbert College, Franciscan institutions...
BLASDELL — Applebee’s restaurants across the country, including those in Western...
HAMBURG — The Hamburg Chamber of Commerce will be hosting a special breakfast...
Seniors have options, with local travel clubsTown of Hamburg senior citizens...