COME ON BY — The Hamburg Recreation Center (Nike Base) is located at 2982 Lakeview Road. Photos by Jessie Owen.
HAMBURG — The town of Hamburg youth and recreation branches of the department of youth, recreation and senior services have been operating from their new home in the Hamburg Senior Community Center, located at 4540 Southwestern Blvd., since December.
Senior services, including the senior fitness center and adult day service, will soon join them; for the first time, the combined department will be located together, under one roof.
When the move is completed in June, following building renovations, the new site will serve as central information for youth, recreation and senior services. Along with headquarters for senior services, the facility will also include a senior fitness center, activity rooms, a gymnasium for use by all ages and a dining room.
Spring and summer registration has begun for recreation programs for all ages. For a detailed list of recreational offerings, visit the department’s new website at www.hamburg-youth-rec-seniors.com,
call the recreation office at 646-5145 or pick up a free spring-summer brochure, in person.
Adaptive summer activities are also being coordinated and include floor hockey for youth through adult.
The town’s arena is located at the Nike Base
The town’s other recreation locations include the Hamburg Recreation Center (Nike Base), located at 2982 Lakeview Road; the 18 Mile Creek Golf Course, located at 6374 Boston State Road; the Hamburg Town Park & Fitness Center, located at 4420 Lakeshore Road; Woodlawn Beach State Park, located at S-3580 Lakeshore Road, and community locations such as the Frontier schools, Saint Francis High School, Braymiller’s Lanes and the HUB.
The 18 Mile Creek Golf Course is located at 6374 Boston State Road
– 18 Mile Creek Golf Course, an 18-hole par 70 course is situated at 6374 Boston State Road at the base of McKinley Parkway and will be open from the beginning of April until early November.
The programs at this site will include youth (5-plus years old) and adult golf lessons, “Hook A Kid on Golf” (tee level, green level and challenge golf league) and the Junior Club.
For more information or to view contacts for the men, women, senior citizen and youth clubs, call the golf course at 648-4410 or the recreation office at 646-5145. A open house for recreation youth golf will be held at the golf course from 1 – 5 p.m. on Saturday, April 26.
The event will include free golf, putting and chipping contests, refreshments and bounce houses.
– Hamburg Recreation Center (Nike Base) includes the town arena (ice skating, fall and winter and sport court, spring and summer) and the Town Tot Preschool, a model air park and a BMX bicycle course.
On-site athletic fields include football, lacrosse, soccer, baseball and softball (lighted). Seasonal programs on the site include Summer Tot, Camp Friendship and Start Smart Football (spring session), United States Sports Institute Camp, Start Smart Golf for kids 5 – 7 years old (spring and summer sessions) and hunter safety.
The sport court will open for Start Smart Baseball, Start Smart Multi Sport and Start Smart Tennis the week of April 21. All are programs of the National Alliance for Youth Sports and are geared toward youths aged 3 – 5, to acquaint kids with the sport (both spring and summer sessions are scheduled). Sport court rental is available for birthday parties, roller or floor hockey, basketball, volleyball or open gym, April – August. Call the arena office at 649-8771, for more information.
Summer day camp options for one-week sessions include Camp Friendship (seven sessions) and Woodlawn Adventure Camp at Woodlawn Beach State Park (nine sessions). They run from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. with extended hours available for youth ages 6 – 14. Summer tot sessions run from 9 a.m. – noon for youth 3 – 6.
– Sports programs (leagues or instruction) at community facilities include tennis lessons (youth and adult) and junior team tennis at St. Francis High School, Bowling Rocks (ages 7 – 13) at Braymiller’s Lanes and youth (modified, junior varsity and varsity) and adult basketball leagues at the Hamburg Senior Community Center. Basketball clinics have been scheduled at Frontier high and middle schools. The town also coordinates house
travel (youth) baseball and softball leagues. Players register for those programs through their closest affiliated baseball/softball associations.
– Playgrounds. Supervised play for preschool – teenage youths will take place at town playgrounds beginning July 1 and continue, throughout the summer months. Check the town’s website or call the recreation office for specific locations and open days.
– Beaches are located at the Hamburg Town Park (4420 Lakeshore Road) and Woodlawn State Park (S-3580 Lakeshore Road in Woodlawn). Both beaches offer swimming, food/concessions, lavatories and play and picnic areas.
Parking at Hamburg Town Park is by resident permit only. Permits may be purchased at the town park and town clerk’s office in the Hamburg Town Hall. A boat launch is also situated at the town park, and a basketball court and beach volleyball are available.
The Blast on the Beach is scheduled for July 26 at the Hamburg Town Park.
A daily parking fee is in effect at Woodlawn until 5 p.m. on weekdays and on weekends. Season passes are available for purchase at Woodlawn. Woodlawn Beach also has nature trails, a boardwalk and gift shop, a rowing program and adult volleyball leagues.
– Swimming options. The town offers two natural, sandy beaches for supervised swimming at Hamburg Town Park and Woodlawn Beach State Park. Beaches will open on Memorial Day weekend, May 24.
Pools in the Frontier schools are also utilized for family swims, swim lessons, Guard Start, Tiny Tot Aquatic and Masters Swim. Visit www.hamburg-youth-rec-seniors.com or call the recreation office at 646-5145 for more information about start times/dates and fees.
– The Hamburg Town Park and Fitness Center at 4420 Lakeshore Road offers a year-round gym with classes available for adults and teens and sport specific training available for teens. The fitness center, with personal trainers, is adjacent to the Hamburg Town Beach. For more information, call 627-4168.
– Parks. Hamburg Town Park, Woodlawn State Park and Taylor Road Family Recreation Facility at S-6765 Taylor Road in Hamburg offer outdoor recreational opportunities such as volleyball and hiking on nature trails at Woodlawn and Taylor Road. Taylor Road includes a log cabin building with a kitchen, picnic area, wooded trails and playground open to the public.
– Rentals are available at the Taylor Road Family Recreation Facility and at Woodlawn Beach State Park (The Lodge and The Grove). Facilities may be rented for weddings, receptions, picnics, family reunions and more.
For more information, call 646-5145 or visit www.hamburg-youth-rec-seniors.com.