Community datebook for the Oct. 3 issue of The Sun
Thursday October 3, 2013 | By:Press Release |
Thursday, Oct. 3
– Fifth annual Hamburg Bites fall progressive dinner, presented by the Village Business Advisory Council, 5 – 9:30 p.m. For more information, visit www.facebook.com/hamburgbites.
– Free kidney disease education session, 6 p.m., Orchard Park Dialysis Center, 3801 Taylor Road in Orchard Park. To register, call 209-7200 or visit www.kidneysmart.org/class.
Friday, Oct. 4
– “Weird Al” Yankovic “The Alpocalypse Tour,” Hamburg Casino at The Fairgrounds Event Center, 8 p.m. For more information, visit www.the-fairgrounds.com/hamburg-casino.
Saturday, Oct. 5
– Run for the Park cross-country 5K run and walk, Nike Base in Hamburg, 10 a.m. Proceeds will go toward building the Dani-Fitness Park. Beer, food, beverages and T-shirts to registrants. Live music by B.Theory. For more information, visit www.danifitbuffalo.com.
– “Ride & Seek,” a Hamburg scavenger hunt, 6 – 8 p.m., Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1419, 2985 Lakeview Road in Hamburg. Must be 21 to participate. There is a per-person registration fee. For more information, call Amy Kane at 646-6728 or Midge Harrington at 648-6430.
– Hamburg Council Knights of Columbus country western dance, 7 – 11 p.m. There is an admission charge per person or for a family. Event will include door prizes, refreshments, snacks and music by Paul Zittel and his Pure Country Band. For more information or to make table reservations, call John Wittmeyer at 912-5654 or the council at 649-9830. Preregistration is not required.
– The Buffalo Brass Choir will perform its first of four music concert series at the Hamburg Methodist Church at 7:30 p.m. The church is located at 116 Union St. in Hamburg. There is a cover charge. For more information, call the church at 649-8080.
Sunday, Oct. 6
– A joint worship service for the Boston area community will be held at 10:45 a.m. at Churchill Memorial Church. This will mark World-Wide Communion Sunday. Open to the public. Sunday School for Faith United Church of Christ will be held at the Faith United Church at 9.
– Olivia’s 5K Wish run/walk and 1-mile fun walk, Evangola State Park, 11 a.m. To benefit the Dana Farber Cancer Institute and the Olivia Coia Memorial Scholarship. Register on the day of the event. For more information, visit www.olivias5kwishrun.webs.com.
– Highland Hose towel bingo, Highland Hose Fire Company on Route 5 in Derby, beginning at 1 p.m. The doors will open at noon.
– Card party, Langford-New Oregon Fire Hall, beginning at 1 p.m. Euchre and Pinochle will be played. Fee includes the games, lunch and prizes. The fire hall is located at 3901 Langford Road in North Collins.
– St. Francis of Assisi blessing of animals service, 1 p.m. in the church parking lot, rain or shine. Bring pets for the blessing and also bring a canned good or nonperishable item for the Saints Peter & Paul food pantry. For more information, call the parish office at 627-2710. The church is located at 4263 Saint Francis Drive in Athol Springs.
– Hamburg Lions Club’s sixth annual police vehicle blessing, 2 p.m., Hamburg Town Hall, 6100 South Park Ave. in Hamburg. Police cars from the town of Hamburg, village of Blasdell and village of Hamburg will be blessed by Father Joseph Bayne. The public may attend the ceremony; refreshments will follow. For more information, contact club President Philip Durkin at 430-0019.
– Free Buffalo Silver Band concert, 3 p.m., as part of the First Congregational United Church of Christ in Angola’s sesquicentennial celebration. The church is located at 132 N. Main St. in Angola.
– Big Tree Elementary Parent-Teacher Association barbecue dinner, including dinner by BW’s Barbecue, a basket raffle, games, prizes and Quiz Master Dennis George. The event will take place from 3:30 – 6:30 p.m. at the Big Tree Volunteer Fire Company Hall, located at 4307 South Park Ave. in Blasdell. A cash bar will be provided by the fire department.
Monday, Oct. 7
– Bobby Becker Memorial Golf Tournament to benefit the Epilepsy Fund of Western New York, Briarwood Country Club. Shotgun start at 10 a.m. Register online at www.golfdigestplanner.com/24406-bobbybeckermemorial.
– Southtowns Women’s Friendship Club, the McKinley Mall conference room located next to Macy’s Inc., 6:30 p.m. Speaker Sharon Green will represent the Global African Village, an organization with a stated goal of assisting people in Eastern Uganda so they can eventually sustain themselves. For more information, call 992-4736.
– Friendly Travel Meeting, 6:30 p.m., the Hamburg Senior Center. Sign up for November and December day trips. For more information, call 627-5275.
– Country Porcelain Artists will meet at 7 p.m. in the Hamburg Middle School cafeteria. Barbara Strzepka will demonstrate pine cone-painting. Open to the public.
– Grace for the Journey, for those who are ill, and for their families and friends, will meet at Faith United Church of Christ at 7 p.m. The church is located at 8651 Boston State Road in Boston.
Tuesday, Oct. 8
– Scranton Home Bureau open house and tea, 7 p.m., Scranton Volunteer Fire Hall, 5395 Scranton Road in Hamburg. New members may attend. View the crafts the bureau will be creating, this year.
Wednesday, Oct. 9
– Mount Mercy Academy open house for girls in fourth – eighth grades and their families, 4 – 7 p.m. All visiting students will receive a school T-shirt and a tour of the facilities. The school is located at 88 Red Jacket Parkway in Buffalo.
Friday, Oct. 11
– Churchill United Methodist Church fish dinner, 4:30 – 7 p.m. The church is located at 8019 Boston State Road. Takeout will be available. Proceeds will help pay for the shared ministries of the church.
Saturday, Oct. 12
– Fall flea market, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., the grange building at The Fairgrounds in Hamburg. Free admission and parking. Use the Quinby Drive entrance. For more information, call 549-3446.
– Penn Dixie Western New York earth science day, free to the public. Exhibits, food and drink, Earth Dimensions Inc. drilling and rock-coring demonstrations, rocket-launching, games, crafts, raffles and more. Free on-site parking. Penn Dixie Site in Hamburg, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. For more information, contact Jerry Bastedo at email@example.com or Rick Watt at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Penn Dixie at 627-4560.
– Book signing with “American Corn” author Ted Malinowski, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Eden Library, located at 2901 E. Church St. in Eden. The Derby resident will be available to sign copies of his work. For more information, call 877-727-0697 or email Michelle Whitman at email@example.com.
– “Trunk or Treat,” noon – 2 p.m., the parking lot of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1419, 2985 Lakeview Road in Hamburg. Children and adults may dress up in Halloween costumes and trick-or-treat from car to car. Prizes will be given for the best costume and best decorated trunk. The event will also include music, games, prizes, food and more. For more information, call 316-4938.The event will be held rain or shine.
Tuesday, Oct. 15
– Knights of Columbus fall bazaar, sponsored by Quota International of Hamburg. Punch and snacks will be served at 5:30 p.m., followed by dinner at 6:30. The event will include homemade desserts, theme baskets, raffle items and crafts. There is a charge to attend. Proceeds will be used for a scholarship fund, donations to the Hamburg Domestic Violence Center, assistance for the hearing impaired and donations to local charities. For more information, call 649-2633. The event will be held at 36 Pierce Ave. in Hamburg.
– “Wellness Tool Kit” as part of the health and wellness series at Wayside Presbyterian Church, located at 5017 Lake Shore Road in Hamburg, 7 p.m. Hosted by Charlene Ludlow RN MHA PIC chief security officer and Paula Quesinberry RN BSN stroke coordinator from the Erie County Medical Center.
HAMBURG — The Hamburg Alumni Foundation is now accepting wall of fame nominations...
HAMBURG — Sixty minutes. In the amount of time it may take a person to read...
EDEN — Students at Eden Junior/Senior High School are working on putting the...
HAMBURG — The World Day of Prayer for Orchard Park, West Seneca and Hamburg...
EVANS — The Evans Historical Society will present local author Ted Malinowski...
EVANS — The officers and directors of the Evans-Brant Chamber of Commerce have...
HAMBURG — The Western New York Home and Garden Expo will be held at The Fairgrounds...
HAMBURG — Feb. 9, 1964 marked a noted moment in rock n’ roll history. The Beatles...
HAMBURG — The 70-member Houghton College Choir, under the direction of Dr. Brandon...