Cold weather be gone: Hamburg village prepares for summer
Saturday May 3, 2014 | By:Jessie Owen, The Sun editor | News
HAMBURG — Although the weather outside continues to fluctuate between blustery and balmy, the Hamburg Village Board has set its sights on spring, as it prepares for upcoming events in which the local community may participate, come the arrival of warmer weather.
During its April 21 meeting, the village board discussed many future endeavors that will be taking place in Hamburg, during the next few months.
The weekly Hamburg farmers market will kick off at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 3, and will be held from 7:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. every Saturday, until Nov. 1. The board approved Imagine:Hamburg’s request to hold regularly scheduled musical performances in the Peace Park from 9:30 a.m. – noon on June 28; July 5, 12 and 26 and Aug. 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30, during that farmers market.
The Character Council of Western New York’s Character Chase 5K Run will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday, July 19 in the village of Hamburg.
Character Council President Suzanne McKenney has expressed a need for volunteers to help with that event, which she said has a goal of supporting character-focused programming for young and old alike.
“The Character Chase Committee is especially in need of individuals who may have some experience with running day-of-race coordination and logistics for an event like this,” she said, adding that sponsors for the event are also requested.
The Character Council of WNY was launched in Hamburg in 2000. For more information about its endeavors, visit www.charactercouncilwny.com.
For more information about becoming a sponsor or volunteer for this event, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact chase Director Susan Sessanna 648-5835.
The board also approved a request from Mike Dinonto of Ten Thousand Vines to utilize the Centennial Park gazebo to host music for the Village Business Advisory Council’s WineAbout Hamburg event. That endeavor will be held from 2 – 7 p.m. on Saturday, May 3.
The public was reminded that the 19th annual town-wide cleanup is scheduled for Saturday, May 3. Interested participants may meet at the town hall at 8:30 a.m. for the kickoff.
In other board news:
– The salary for Stephen Landry, a recreation attendant part-time seasonal worker for the spring and summer season, at a rate of $7.75 per hour, was approved, upon recommendation by the village of Hamburg Recreation Commission.
– The board approved an animal and fowl permit to allow six chickens to be kept by Charles Rowell at 48 Maple Ave.
– A certificate of compliance for building design standards submitted by Jeff Fitch and Dr. Steven Aszkler, of Aszkler Orthodontics on Legion Drive, was approved. This covers a single-sided white, gray and red V-carved sign, mounted to the front wall of the building. The application was reviewed by the architectural review committee.
– The board also approved specifications for a flat panel aluminum black, red and white sign at Dirt Busters on Lake Street. Proposed window and door signs were also submitted by the applicant, Rick Johnson.
– Per recommendation by the architectural review committee, the village board approved building design standards submitted by Johnson for Sheedy & Sons Lube on Camp Road, for a replacement of the existing polycarbonate pole sign. This approval contained lighting conditions, as recommended by the ARC.
The board will hold a work session at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, May 5, followed by a regular board meeting at 7.
HAMBURG — Qualifying first-time home buyers in the town of Hamburg could be...
BLASDELL — Blasdell police officers will soon be able to get a better read on...
HAMBURG — A movement in the town of Hamburg aims to have the 2012 downsizing...
NORTH COLLINS — New York State Supreme Court Justice Patrick NeMoyer issued...
BOSTON — Even though inches of snow were accumulating outside when the Boston...
HAMBURG — The Hamburg village board met to discuss plans for the next municipal...
HAMBURG — In response to the plans to rebuild Schmidt’s Auto Body & Collision...