Current Conditions
35 ° Cloudy

Login | Subscribe
Loading.... Please Wait.

Gone but never forgotten: Stories shared by family of fatal hit-and-run victim

EVANS — The town of Evans Police Department is still at work on the hit-and-run case for Barry Moss, who was struck and killed late on the evening of Dec. 21. The family and Evans community grieved, during a candlelight vigil held in Moss’s memory on Feb. 1.

Evans police reported that the victim was walking or riding his bike on Route 5, near Gold Street, in the town of Evans.

“He was coming back from a neighbor’s and a car hit him, and he wasn’t found until 6 in the morning,” said Maria Wrafter, Moss’s sister.

The driver of the vehicle has still not yet been identified and police are continuing to gather and observe evidence; Lt. Doug Czora of the Evans Police is spearheading the investigation.

An identification of the vehicle has been confirmed, with the registered name of that vehicle as the key suspect. That person has not yet been confirmed as the perpetrator, by law enforcement.

“What the police are looking for now are any witnesses that may have seen something,” Wrafter said. Police reported that the vehicle, a grey 2013 Ford© Explorer, was traveling westbound through Hamburg, after the accident.

Wrafter said that she feels angry that an arrest has yet to be made, although she is grateful for the police’s efforts. The family has been becoming increasingly more public, “hoping that the district attorney’s office continues to see that the public is interested in how they feel about crimes like this,” according to the victim’s sister.

A Facebook page called “Justice for Barry (Bob) Moss!” has been developed by Moss’ daughters. This is an open group page on which members may post messages for Moss, updates about the investigation, media reshares, family photos and words of comfort and thanks. The victim’s daughters, Cassandra and Megan Moss and Ashley Venters, made T-shirts for the vigil that read “Gone But Never Forgotten.”

“It’s more about remembering him then being vengeful,” Wrafter said, in regard to the public memorial displays. “It’s more uplifting than anything else.

“The worst part of it really is watching my mother, [Charlotte Moss], and my nieces have to deal with this,” she added. “For my brother’s sake, I just don’t want his kids to have to live with this. It’s hard enough to lose someone.” She added that she hopes an arrest will be made soon, so the family can gain some closure.

Two of the daughters agreed to speak with The Sun about their experiences and feelings about the accident, the investigation and the loss of their father.

“Talking about what happened to my dad is not easy,” Cassandra Moss said. “We just didn’t really want to be public. It’s weird, grieving on TV. We wanted a little privacy. We’re kind of at the point, though, where we’re realizing the publicity has helped bring forth some information.”

The 23-year-old said she does not think her family members have ever seen her act the way she did, after hearing the news about her father. The girls were supposed to have a Christmas celebration at their mother’s home on the day after the accident. Moss said she knew something was wrong when she heard the urgent tone of her mother, Eva Valo, the victim’s former wife.

“I ran inside and I felt like I was going to be sick. I ran to the bathroom and stood there,” Moss said. “All I remember was screaming.”

After hearing about what had happened to her father, she said she screamed, dry-heaved and ran to the driveway, where she collapsed.

“I don’t remember too much. I know I wasn’t eating,” Moss said, about the week leading up to the her father’s funeral.

Barry Moss’ 21-year-old daughter Megan Moss said that, when she saw her mother and Wrafter crying on the couch, she “turned around and started walking back to my room, because I knew it was something bad.”

She said that Dec. 22 was a daze-filled day; like her sister, she does not remember much of the week leading up to the funeral. She said that she continues to think about upcoming events, such as buying a new car, the family’s annual Fourth of July party or marriages and children to come, that remind her about how greatly this accident has changed the family’s future. “We have to get used to the fact that he’s not going to be around anymore, but it’s just hard,” she said.

“At night is the worst. Everyone goes throughout their day as normal, but I feel like the night is the worst for everyone,” she added.

The family members are in consensus that their efforts to publicize this event will help bring justice.

“One person can change the lives of so many, in the blink of an eye,” Cassandra Moss said. “My whole family has to deal with this because of what one person did. It’s amazing how one person can affect so many people. This person needs to think of the people they’re affecting.

“It will come to light. I think somebody will be held responsible for this,” she added.

Megan Moss said that, until someone is convicted for this crime, the family will not be able to grieve properly.

“I’m hopeful. I’m realistic, but I am very hopeful. We need to have some peace,” Moss said. “We all miss my dad and we love him. We hope that something to help us happens soon.”

Anyone with any information regarding the case is asked to call Czora, of the Evans Police, at 549-3600.

You must be signed in to comment.

Click Here to create a Free Account

Click here to Sign in


Be the first to Comment
Join's mailing list.
For Email Marketing you can trust