Close

Current Conditions
47 ° Light Rain

Login | Subscribe
Loading.... Please Wait.

Boston addresses illegal construction

BOSTON — It was one of the shorter meetings of the Boston Town Board on June 4, but it still allotted enough time to spark controversy on Chestnut Lane, once again. Earlier in the week, the board became aware of construction on the street that had not been previously approved by the board. During the open forum of the June 4 meeting, Bryant Burns, who resides on Chestnut Lane, took the opportunity to ask the board for answers.

According to Town Attorney Michael Kobiolka, “I think a town resident wanted to put in a couple lines for water and for gas.” He added, “No, [the town] has not [approved the construction].

“We have no applications, no permits – nothing whatsoever for the project up there, period,” said Councilman Jeff Genzel. “We know nothing about it. We just were informed about it [on] Tuesday. Honestly, it’s all we know.”

Burns asked the board what was going to be done about the project, and Genzel responded by saying, “We have the same question. We’d like to know also.” He later added, “It’s pending litigation.”

“We’re working with the applicant and with the appropriate state and local agencies to have what’s being done up there addressed,” said Kobiolka. “We’re just going to have to go step by step. We just found out about this 48 or 72 hours ago ... We didn’t know that the stop sign was taken down. We didn’t know that 25 loads of dirt were actually being brought in. So now we’re addressing it and we’re trying to figure out the best course of action for the safety of the town and the safety of the residents.”

“The state has to do its due diligence first,” explained Supervisor Martin Ballowe.

Burns then asked if Highway Superintendent Robert Telaak was involved with the project. “There’s been work on his property from that contractor,” said Burns, explaining his suspicion. “I’ve seen it. I have video of it. There was work done on Bob Telaak’s property from the same contractor, at the same time.”

Building Inspector John Fergusson, who was present at the board meeting, explained, “Mr. Telaak has a valid building permit, which allows him to bring in fill, underneath that building permit, in order to build a structure. It’s as simple as that: He has a building permit. That’s part of the building permit, to bring in fill in order to construct.”

Ballowe assured the residents that the town “is on top of” this concern.

In other board matters:

– The board voted in favor of appointing Jason Keding as the new chairman of the Conservation Advisory Council to replace Donald Buckley. “Mr. Buckley will remain as a CAC member but, due to other commitments, does not feel that he can serve as he would like as chairman,” explained Secretary to the Boards and Committees Thelma Faulring, via correspondence to the board.

– A public hearing was scheduled, regarding Pail REinecke’s application for a special permit for dumping materials. The hearing will be held on July 16 at 7:40 p.m. at the Boston Town Hall.

– During the months of July and August, the Boston town board holds one meeting per month, as opposed to its regular two. At the June 4 meeting, the board set its summer schedule to include board meetings on July 16 and Aug. 6. Both meetings will be at the usual 7:30 p.m. at the town hall, and there will be no other town board meetings during the months of July and August. June 18 is the last town board meeting before the town begins its summer schedule. The meeting will begin at 7:30 p.m. at the Boston Town Hall, located at 8500 Boston State Road in Boston.


ADD A COMMENT

You must be signed in to comment.

Click Here to create a Free Account

Click here to Sign in

Subject
Comments
Submit

Be the first to Comment
Join thesunnews.net's mailing list.
Email:
For Email Marketing you can trust