History Center celebrates Girl Scouts of WNY's 100th anniversary
Sunday October 7, 2012 | By:Rikki Cason | News
Niagara County History Center will host a new exhibit prepared by Girl Scouts of WNY in celebration of Girl Scouting’s 100th Anniversary.
In 1912, Juliette Low began Girl Scouting, based on the example of her friend, Lord Baden-Powell, who had earlier started the Boy Scouting movement.
According to the mission of the Girl Scouts of Western New York, Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place.
The History Center would like to honor the 20,000 Girl Scouts and 9,000 adults who participate in Western New York from Rochester to Niagara Falls. This special exhibit is in place through Oct. 31.
To give the young men of WNY equal time, the History Center has taken this opportunity to create another new exhibit that honors all local scouts, both boys and girls.
History Center Exhibit planners Joan Barry and Donna Campbell have assembled a wide array of scouting uniforms as well as badges and other memorabilia from the center’s collection that tell the story of our local connection to scouting through the years.
Both of these two great scouting exhibits are offered, free of charge, during normal hours of operation, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, at the Center’s headquarters, 215 Niagara St., Lockport.
Donations are gladly accepted to help the History Center present quality programming throughout the year.
For more information call the History Center at 434-7433.
The reviews of the town of Boston’s Memorial Day event were very favorable when...