Police logs from The Sun week of Aug. 27
Erie County Sheriff’s Report week of Aug. 9-16
- A car was on fire Aug. 16 on Liebler Road in Boston. No one was injured in the accident, the fire department extinguished the fire and the car was towed from the scene.
- Jason Fairbanks, 27, of Gowanda, was arrested on Aug. 11 for a charge of criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, driving while ability impaired by drugs and other traffic violations.
The arrest happened after Fairbanks was found driving erratically on Gowanda State Road, in North Collins.
Arrests in Hamburg
- David Merecki, 46, of Cape Coral, Fla., was arrested Aug. 17 for driving while intoxicated on Southwestern Boulevard, in Hamburg.
- Amanda Cole, 28, of Hamburg, was arrested Aug. 22 after stealing merchandise from the Hamburg WalMart.
- Joshua Taylor, 24, of Hamburg, was arrested Aug. 20 after his involvement with a disturbance at The Erie County Fair lead to the discovery of a pair of metal knuckles was found on his person. He was charged with criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
- Carly Maurer, 22, of Hamburg, was arrested on Aug. 17 for criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree. During a traffic stop, Maurer accidentally revealed bags related to the storage of heroin. She admitted to doing heroin that morning.
- Nicholas Faraci, 27, of Angola, was arrested Aug. 16 after reportedly striking the center barrier on Route 5 at Bayview Road with his car and leaving the scene of the accident. Police also discovered his drivers license had been suspended 22 times on seven separate dates.
High-speed car chase ends on village street
John Mrozek, 37, of Hamburg, was arrested Aug. 23 for the grand larceny of construction equipment, worth $6,000.
On Aug. 22, Mrozek’s supervisor from the excavation company he worked for reported to Hamburg Police that he allowed Mrozek to use a company truck and trailer with the understanding that it would be returned to the work premises at 6 a.m.
Mrozek did not return to work, though he phoned his boss stating he had overslept and would be in as soon as possible. His parents reported to police that they had last seen him at about 8 p.m. the day before, when he said he was going out for a haircut.
Mrozek, in the stolen vehicle, was pursued by Lackawanna and Buffalo Police down Camp Road after the driver reached speeds of 70 MPH. He jumped out from the moving vehicle on Highland Avenue and fled on foot. Nearby residence received a CodeRed notification of the events which unfolded.
With the help of Buffalo canine officers, the offender was located inside of a garage behind Fisher Pools.
Case closed by arrest.
Arrests in Evans Aug. 20-23
- Kyle Smith, 20, of Blasdell, was arrested Aug. 20 after he reportedly refused to leave the Evans Town Park after it had closed and climbed the roof of the maintenance building.
- Sherry Keklak, 50, of Eden, was arrested Aug. 21, after attempting to leave the scene of a property damage accident. Her vehicle was stuck in a ditch. She was suspected to have been drinking, but refused all field tests. She was arrested for Driving while intoxicated.
- Stephan Zakrzewski, 55, of Burt, N.Y., was arrested on a warrant out of Niagara County.
- Amanda Macpeek, 31, of Evans, was arrested Aug. 22 on Erie Road after police detected she was driving with a suspended license plate for a lapse in insurance. She was also found to have an active warrant for her arrest out of Hamburg.
- Phillip Taylor, 37, of Buffalo, was arrested Aug. 22 after giving a false representation to police, stating his name was Ernest. He was found to have a warrant for his arrest out of Buffalo.
- Ryan Rodriguez, 23, of Brant, was arrested Aug. 23 after passing out, intoxicated, on a victim’s car. He was taken into custody on a charge of trespassing until sobered up.
- Nathan Gardner, 19, of Tonawanda, was arrested on Aug. 23 for criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree.
After Gardner drove his car into a ditch, police attended the scene and upon a search, discovered Xanax pills and marijuana in the car.